0
  Login
Duchess of Cambridge coos over newborn baby during video call to midwives

Duchess of Cambridge coos over newborn baby during video call to midwives

The Duchess of Cambridge has made a virtual bedside visit to new parents during a video call to midwives she worked alongside last year.

Kate chatted to Rebecca Attwood and John Gill with their baby Max nearby, and when she was told the infant had been born the night before, the royal said: “My goodness, you must be exhausted.”

Midwives told the duchess the coronavirus outbreak had left some mothers suffering from anxiety, concerned about catching Covid-19.

During another video call with experts from the sector, the duchess raised concerns about new parents, saying they should “reach out and ask for help” if they need it.

The video call was made on April 22 to staff at the maternity unit of Kingston Hospital in south-west London, where she spent two days on a work placement last November.

When the duchess, who is mother to six-year-old Prince George, Princess Charlotte, who celebrated her fifth birthday on Saturday, and two-year-old Prince Louis, began chatting with the parents of baby Max, she said: “Well firstly, huge congratulations. Is it a little boy or a little girl?”

“It’s a little boy,” Ms Attwood told her, as she sat up in her hospital bed with her newborn son alongside her in a cot.

Given a closer look at little Max, the duchess cooed: “He’s so sweet. Ah, congratulations. When did you have him?”

Told he had arrived at 10pm the previous night, Kate said: “My goodness, you must be exhausted,” and his mother replied “Yes. I’m pretty tired now.”

During her video chat, Kate spoke to midwives she had met before, and their colleagues, about how the experiences of expectant mothers and new parents has changed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

To maintain social distancing, three pairs of midwives took it in turns to join the chat, while another was filmed putting on personal protective equipment before taking the laptop in to introduce the duchess to baby Max and his parents.

From her Anmer Hall home in Norfolk, the duchess watched as the hospital birth centre’s lead midwife Sam Frewin, whom she had met during her work placement last November, appeared on camera in a mask and disposable apron.

“I’m smiling, can you tell?” joked Sam.

“I know,” gasped Kate, surprised by her appearance.

Looking closer, she laughed, adding: “With your eyes, I can.”

Boris Johnson reveals doctors prepared to announce his death as he battled coronavirus in intensive care

Boris Johnson reveals doctors prepared to announce his death as he battled coronavirus in intensive care

Boris Johnson has said doctors prepared to announce his death as he battled coronavirus in intensive care.

The revelation comes as the Prime Minister and his fiance Carrie Symonds announced that they named their baby boy Wilfred Lawrie Nicholas Johnson after two doctors who saved his life.

The PM first said he tested positive for Covid-19 on March 27 before entering his mandatory period of self-isolation at home.

Due to his symptoms persisting, Mr Johnson was taken to St Thomas’ Hospital in London on April 5. Just hours later, he was admitted to intensive care.

The PM returned to Downing Street on Monday but he has now revealed that during his time in the ICU doctors were making “arrangements” in case he did not recover.

He told the Sun On Sunday: “It was a tough old moment, I won’t deny it. They had a strategy to deal with a ‘death of Stalin’-type scenario.

“I was not in particularly brilliant shape and I was aware there were contingency plans in place.

“The doctors had all sorts of arrangements for what to do if things went badly wrong.

“They gave me a face mask so I got litres and litres of oxygen and for a long time I had that and the little nose jobbie.”

Mr Johnson told the paper “the bloody indicators kept going in the wrong direction” and that he kept asking himself: “How am I going to get out of this?”

READ MORE
Government ‘optimistic’ Brits will download virus contact tracing app
Nurse and healthcare worker become latest NHS staff to die with virus
Joe Wicks: ‘I’ll be back for PE class on Monday’ after hand surgery
Gay and bisexual men excluded from donating plasma to Covid-19 trials
He said: “It was hard to believe that in just a few days my health had deteriorated to this extent. I remember feeling frustrated. I couldn’t understand why I wasn’t getting better.

“But the bad moment came when it was 50-50 whether they were going to have to put a tube down my windpipe.

“That was when it got a bit . . . they were starting to think about how to handle it presentationally.”

He said he was “in denial” initially about how serious his illness was, and said doctors were right to “force” him to go to St Thomas’s where he spent three nights in intensive care.